KY AHEAD, the Kentucky Association on Higher Education and Disability is a non-profit professional organization whose purpose is to promote communication among professionals in post-secondary education in order to improve the development and implementation of services to persons with disabilities.
KY AHEAD is a state association comprised of individuals dedicated to enhancing higher education opportunities for persons with disabilities.
KY AHEAD saw its roots in a series of informal meetings in Louisville and Lexington; disability services professionals from around the state came together to share information with colleagues. State conferences were held in May and October, 1999. The state conference in May 2000 included approval of By-Laws and election of officers. Incorporation status, as well as federal and state tax exemption status, were sought and received in 2001. Also in 2001, KY AHEAD applied for and became an affiliate of international AHEAD (Association on Higher Education and Disability).
Since these early beginnings, KY AHEAD has held yearly two day conferences as well as holding a one day "Higher Education and Disability Law" conference in the fall of 2002.
KY AHEAD's goals remain unchanged. The association provides a venue for persons interested in disability services in higher education to:
- exchange information and resources relevant to services for students
- engage in professional development opportunities at state and regional conferences
- engage in discussion/brainstorming on items of interest via an electronic e-group
- stay apprised of pending legislation and court decisions impacting disability services
- engage in advocacy activities
119 Stevenson Hall
University of Louisville
Louisville, KY 40292
Telephone: (502) 852-6938