2015 KY AHEAD Conference
The Kentucky Association on Higher Education and Disability is proud to host the 2015 KY AHEAD Conference: Unlocking the Best Kept Secrets in Disability Services from Wednesday, May 20, 2015 to Friday, May 22, 2015. This year's conference will be held at Lake Barkley State Resort Park.
When booking your room, be sure to tell park staff that you are with the KY AHEAD Conference to receive the conference lodge room rate of $64.95 per night plus taxes and fees. Book your room by April 30th to receive this rate.
Conference Agenda (subject to change)
Note: Lake Barkley is on Central Time.
11:00am - 1:00pm
1:00pm - 1:30pm
1:30pm - 3:00pm
Promoting Self-Determination through Enhanced Resilience and Grit
3:00pm - 3:30pm
Break & Silent Auction Opens
3:30pm - 5:00pm
Flexible Attendance for Students with Chronic Medical Conditions: A Risky Business
Panel Discussion by Cathy Patus, Lisa Landanyi, & Valerie Wolfe
6:00pm - 8:00pm
President's Reception Dinner
8:00am - 9:30am
Registration & Continental Breakfast
9:30am - 11:00am
What Do We Know About...? Using DS Literature to Inform Our Practice
11:00am - 11:30am
11:30am - 1:00pm
Leadership and Diversity: How to Create Opportunities for Others and Accept the Challenge and Responsibility of Leadership and Diversity
1:00pm - 2:30pm
2:30pm - 2:45pm
2:45pm - 4:00pm
Gaining Ground with Universal Design for Learning
Deb Castiglione & Beth Case
4:00pm - 4:15pm
4:15pm - 5:30pm
Housing Issues Discussion for Four Year Institutions
6:30pm - 8:30pm
Sunset Cruise on Lake Barkley (Optional - additional fee applies)
8:00am - 9:00am
Registration & Breakfast
9:00am - 10:15am
Assessing Educational Impact and Accommodating Learning and Psychological Disorders: An Overview
10:15am - 10:30am
Break & Silent Auction Closes
10:30am - 11:45am
Understanding College Students with Autism Spectrum Disorders through the Big Bang Theory Lens: Couching Sheldon's Perspective
11:45am - 12:00pm
Closing Remarks & Silent Auction Winners Announced
Registration and Payment
Registration forms must be received by Friday, May 1, 2015. The registration fee for this conference is $210. For those able to attend only one or two days of the conference, registration for individual days is available: for Wednesday, the fee is $55; for Thursday, the fee is $100; for Friday, the fee is $55. The registration fee includes refreshment breaks, Wednesday's dinner, Thursday's continental breakfast, Thursday's lunch, and Friday's full breakfast.
An optional sunset cruise on Lake Barkley is planned for Thursday evening. Refreshments will be served on the boat. The additional fee for this event is $25. Guests of conference attendees are welcome to purchase tickets for the sunset cruise, and may also purchase dinner on Wednesday for $20.
To register, please:
- Complete the registration form .
- Pay the registration fee.
- Payment by credit card may be submitted on Eventbrite by May 1, 2015.
- Payment by check should be made payable to Kentucky AHEAD and she could brought to the conference or mailed to: Teresa Belluscio, EKU Disabilities Office, 521 Lancaster Ave., SSB 361, CPO 66, Richmond, KY 40475-3102.
- Payment by purchase order should be mailed to Teresa Belluscio at the above address as well.
Let the bidding wars begin! An exciting part of the conference is the Silent Auction. Please consider donating -- or asking a business to donate -- items for our annual Silent Auction. All proceeds go to our Student Scholarship Program. We have been fortunate in recent years to award two $500 scholarships each year, but that's possible only because of the success of the Silent Auction and your willingness and generosity to donate or find donations. In the past, the following items have been popular Silent Auction gifts.
- Kentucky-crafted or personally crafted items (jewelry, scarves, wood products, paintings, pictures, etc.)
- Gift cards to national restaurants or bookstores
- Get-away trips
- Tickets to sporting events, theme parks, movies, etc.
- Books, especially those related to disability issues
- Baskets with regional edibles
- Apparel (professional sports teams, college/university, state, etc.)
There are two ways to get your Silent Auction items to the conference.
- Bring the item(s) with you to the conference. When you provide your donation, complete one of the provided Silent Auction Donation Forms. If you prefer, you can complete the Silent Auction Donation Form in advance and email it to Tricia Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org or bring it with you to the conference.
- Or, you may send your gift along with the completed Silent Auction Donation Form by May 1, 2015 to Tricia Davis, 216 Wallace Bldg., EKU, 521 Lancaster Ave., Richmond, KY 40475-3102.
2016 KY AHEAD Conference
May 18-20, 2016
Location: Lake Cumberland State Resort Park