2014 KY AHEAD Conference
The Kentucky Association on Higher Education and Disability is pleased to host the 2014 KY AHEAD Conference: Putting the Pieces Together from Wednesday, May 21, 2014 to Friday, May 23, 2014. This year's conference will be held at General Butler State Resort Park. A President's Opening Reception will precede the conference on Tuesday evening.
When booking your room, be sure to tell park staff that you are with the KY AHEAD Conference to receive the conference lodge room rate of $69.95 plus tax and fees.
Schedule (subject to change)
7:00pm - 9:00pm: President's Opening Reception
11:00am - 1:00pm: Registration
1:00pm - 1:30pm: Introductions
1:30pm - 3:00pm: Keynote Presentation - Howard Kallem, Office for Civil Rights
3:00pm - 3:15pm: Break
3:15pm - 4:15pm: Low Vision Presentation - Office for the Blind
4:15pm - 5:15pm: Deaf/Hard of Hearing Services Group Meeting
8:00am - 9:00am: Registration and Light Continental Breakfast
9:00am - 10:30am: DeafBlind Equipment Distribution Program - Office for the Blind, Office of Vocational Rehabilitation, Eastern Kentucky University, & Consumers
10:30am - 10:45am: Break
10:45am - 11:45am: Texthelp - John McPeters
11:45am - 12:00pm: Break
12:00pm - 1:30pm: Business Luncheon
1:30pm - 3:00pm: Office for Civil Rights Questions & Answers - Howard Kallem
3:00pm - 3:15pm: Break
3:15pm - 4:30pm: "Puzzling Pieces" Roundtables
4:30pm - 5:30pm: KCTCS Meeting
TBD: Optional Networking Cookout (additional fee of $25 applies)
8:00am - 9:00am: Registration and Continental Breakfast
9:00am - 10:15am: The Closed Captioning Conundrum - PEPNet
10:15am - 10:30am: Break - Silent Auction Closes at 10:30am
10:30am - 11:30am: Project CARAT
11:30am - 12:00pm: Closing Remarks
Registration and Payment
Registration is now closed.
Registration forms must be received by Friday, May 2, 2014. The registration fee for this conference is $210.00. For those able to attend only one or two days of the three-day conference, registration for individual days is available: for Wednesday, the fee is $55; for Thursday, the fee is $100.00; and for Friday, the fee is $55.00. The registration fee includes refreshment breaks and dinner on Wednesday; continental breakfast, refreshment breaks, and lunch on Thursday, and continental breakfast on Friday.
An optional networking cookout is being planned for Thursday evening. Watch for more details! There will be an additional fee of $25 for this activity. Guests of conference attendees are welcome to purchase cookouts and may also purchase dinner on Wednesday for $20.
To register, please:
- Complete the registration form.
- Pay the registration fee.
- Payment by credit card may be submitted on Eventbrite by May 2, 2014, at 11:55pm Eastern.
- Payment by check should be made payable to Kentucky AHEAD and should be brought to the conference or mailed to: Teresa Belluscio, EKU Disabilities Office, 521 Lancaster Ave., SSB 361, CPO 66, Richmond, KY 40475-3102
- Payment by purchase order should be mailed to Teresa Belluscio at the above address as well.
Let the bidding wars begin! An exciting part of the conference is the Silent Auction. Please consider donating -- or asking a business to donate -- items for our annual Silent Auction. All proceeds go to our Student Scholarship Program. We have been fortunate in recent years to award two $500.00 scholarships each year, but that’s possible only because of the success of the Silent Auction and your willingness and generosity to donate or find donations. In the past, the following items have been popular Silent Auction gifts:
- Kentucky-crafted or personally-crafted items (jewelry, scarves, wood products, paintings, pictures, etc.)
- Gift cards to national restaurants, bookstores or restaurants
- Get-away trips
- Tickets to sporting events, theme parks, movies, etc.
- Books, especially those related to disability issues
- Baskets with regional edibles
- Apparel (professional sports teams, college/university, state, etc.)
There are two ways to get your Silent Auction items to the conference:
- Bring the item(s) with you to the conference. NOTE: if you plan to bring items with you, please complete the Silent Auction Donation Form and send to Brenda Dennis at firstname.lastname@example.org. Then, simply drop off your items at the Registration Table when you pick up your conference materials.
- Or, you may send your gift, along with the completed Silent Auction Donation Form , by May 2, 2014, to Brenda Dennis, Transylvania University, 300 North Broadway, Lexington, KY 40508-1797.
2015 KY AHEAD Conference
Tentative Dates: May 20-22, 2015
Location: Lake Barkley State Resort Park